Teacher's Lesson Plan - by subject area
The What Travel Writers Say website contains a wealth of information that can be applied to many subject areas. Here are eighty-eight questions to help get you started. Answers to all of these questions are found in the Tips/Links section where students will find links to every conceivable piece of information related to myriad countries. Use this section to set up your own classroom Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy games.
© By Mike Keenan
- What country enjoys the highest altitude? What countries are 2nd, 3rd and fourth? Name a country with an altitude of 10 m (33 feet) or less.
- Name six forts in Montana.
- What is the population of Canada? Ontario? Toronto?
- What country has the largest coastline in the world? Who is second?
- What are the five largest countries in the world?
- What is the name of the currency used in France, Denmark & the Philippines?
- If crossing the Arabian Desert by camel, what two countries would you pass through? Same question for the Atacama Desert, the driest place on earth?
- What is the largest island nation in the world? Smallest?
- What are the five largest lakes in the world and what is their size?
- In what country would you find: Gibbs Hill Lighthouse?
- In what country is the Al Fateh Mosque?
- What are the three highest mountain peaks in the world and in what country is Tent Peak?
- What is the highest mountain peak in South America? Africa?
- What is the name of the deepest place in the Pacific Ocean and how deep is it?
- In what country is the Aswan Dam? Three Gorges Dam?
- Name three rivers in Alabama, New Mexico and New Brunswick.
- What are the five longest rivers in the world and size of each?
- Name five military bases in Georgia, USA.
- What is the largest of waterfalls in Europe? The most powerful in Europe?
- In what country is the Jos Wildlife Park?
- Define each of the following: abbey, air rage, biome, deep vein thrombosis, geo-caching, jet lag.
Planning (multiple subjects)
- Plan an air trip to a foreign country. Make a detailed budget, outlining costs for travel, food, accommodations & sight-seeing. List your top five sights or activities and describe each in a short paragraph.
- Plan: a North American train trip. Make a detailed budget, outlining costs for travel, food, accommodations & sight-seeing. List your top five sights or activities and describe each in a short paragraph.
- Plan: a cruise. Make a detailed budget, outlining costs for travel, food, accommodations & sight-seeing. List your top five sights or activities and describe each in a short paragraph.
- What countries form the Arab League? Name the leader of each. Draw a flag representing one of these countries.
- What countries have territorial claims to Antarctica?
- What countries form the Association of Southeast Asian Nations? Where and when was their last meeting held?
- How many countries are in the British Commonwealth? Name the capitals of three member states.
- What countries form the European Union? Which does not use the Euro?
- What countries are fourth, fifth and sixth in exports by total value in the world?
- What country has the most external debt? Which countries are tied for the least amount?
- What countries form the G-8?
- Which are the top ten counties for accepting immigrants and what is the amount for each?
- Where is the ICJ located? What does it do?
- What is the capital of U.A.E.? Turkey? Lebanon? Barbados? Wales? Rwanda? Cyprus? Cambodia? Czech Republic? Ecuador? Bolivia? New Zealand? Croatia?
- What is the mailing address for NATO headquarters?
- Name three NGO's and explain what each does.
- Name five countries with no armed forces.
- What countries are in the OAS? Who is current president?
- What countries belong to OPEC? When was it formed?
- What countries are the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council?
Sports & Recreation
- Name three MLB (Major League Baseball) stadiums. Where are they located? What is their seating capacity? How much did each cost? Is each grass or artificial turf?
- What are the records for three types of the largest freshwater fishes caught?
- Where is the Trap Shooting Hall of Fame located? The International Bowling Museum & Hall of Fame? The Volleyball Hall of Fame?
- How many Olympic medals have been won by Germany? China? U.S.A.? Barbados?
- In what country is Teddy Stadium? Spartak Stadium?
- Choose a B&B that you think enjoys the best name. Explain why?
- You have a budget of $1,000 to purchase a camera for travel. Which camera would you purchase and why?
- Name four manufacturers of motorcycles. Examine their websites. Which appeals to you most? Explain why.
- What are the top five beer-consuming nations in the world per capita and how much does each consume?
- Name amusement parks in five different countries. Which one sounds the best and why?
Social & Environmental Issues
- Who are the top three countries for carbon dioxide emissions? What is the amount for each and their percentage of world output?
- What are the top five most populous cities in the world?
- What countries are the top five coffee consumers per capita in the world and how much is consumed by each?
- What are the top ten countries for per capita obesity?
- What are the top five countries for teenage pregnancy?
- What are the top five countries for automobile deaths?
- What are the top five countries in deaths from cancer?
- What countries have the top five death rates in the world per capita?
- What are the top five countries in consumption of electricity per capita and how much does each consume?
- What ethnic types are found in Canada and what is the percentage of each? Germany?
- What is the fertility rate for the top five countries per capita?
- What is the current cost of gasoline fuel in Texas? New York? British Columbia?
- What are the top ten countries for gun ownership per capita?
- In the top 20 countries with HIV/AIDS per capita, which is the only non-African country?
- Where does the U.K. rank in life expectancy per capita? What country is number one?
- What country (ies) has the highest literacy rate in the world?
- What is the minimum wage in Bahrain?
- What are the top five countries for nuclear reactors and how many does each have?
- After China, India and the U.S., what country has the largest population? What is the rank of France? Australia? Switzerland?
- What are the top five countries in length of railways?
- What are the percentage religious denominations in Canada? Netherlands? Pakistan? United States?
History, Culture & Arts
- Name three ancient extinct states?
- Name three holidays celebrated in Brazil and provide their dates.
- In what U.S. state is the Wright Brothers National Memorial?
- In what country is the Museum of the Revolution? Anne Frank House? The Ibsen Museum? The Pushkin Museum?
- Name three opera houses in France.
- In what country is the Mir Castle? Rideau Hall? Babak Castle? Uffizi? Alhambra?
- Name a shrine or sacred place in five different countries.
- In what U.S. state is Fort Bliss National Cemetery located?
- Name four countries named after people and who was each?
- What languages are spoken in Indonesia? Israel? New Zealand?
Math & Science
- Explain how airplanes handle lightening strikes.
- Calculate the distance from where you live to: Montreal, Quebec; Singapore; Paris, France.
- What are the top ten skyscrapers in the world by height?
- What is the current temperature in Paris, France?
- What is the currency conversion of $100 U.S. into Australian dollars? $100 Canadian into Euros? 1,000 Indian rupees into U.S. dollars?